My fight for survival in this terrible world

Friday, July 6, 2012

KB Loves Strong Women (aka NOT Bella and Anastasia)


If you read Wednesday’s KB Thinks For You , you should know how I feel about stupid girls who don’t have a mind of their own. So instead of going on another rant about other women who I would like to forget about, I decided to make a list of some smart, strong women.

Elizabeth Bennett
Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice
I know she’s the go-to woman for feminists so I’ll be brief. Basically she waves her middle finger at the establishment and tells them she’s going to marry who she wants, when she wants and if they don’t like it, they can go screw themselves
"You seriously think I'm going to marry that wanker?"

Tess Durbeyfield
Thomas Hardy’s Tess of the d’Urbervilles
I know this might not be the best example because she spends the first part of the book allowing herself to be sexually assaulted and becoming pregnant, the second part being idealized by a man, the third wallowing in misery after said man finds out about the pregnancy, and the fourth being hung for murdering the guy that got her pregnant but she’s actually pretty strong. After Angel (second man) leaves her, she does what she’s got to do to survive… which happens to be taking up with Alec (first man). When Angel comes back, she murders Alec to get what she wants (Angel) and they live happily… until she is hung for murder. Still, she made her own choices and was in charge of her own fate

Hermione Granger
JK Rowling’s Harry Potter
Finally a strong woman from today’s literature! Unlike Bella and Anastasia, Hermione uses her brain and helps save the world from Lord Volde—I mean, He-who-shall-not-be-named. Without her, Harry would have died countless times and Ron would have died alone. She never acted stupid or apologized for her brains. And I guess for that we can excuse her for marrying a ginger.
"If you say you like Twilight one more time..."

Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand is the kind of woman you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley. She literally wrote the book on selfishness (The Virtue of Selfishness) and lived by her own moral code. Her philosophy definitely isn’t for everyone but we can all admire her as someone who thought her own thoughts and actually lived the philosophy she preached. While I could talk for days about her philosophy (I’d have to spend days because it’s lengthy) I’ll leave you with the quote that she believed best described it “I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
"Yes, I'm selfish. What of it?'

And yes, I know Katniss is not on this list because I haven't read that book yet. Don't worry, when I get around to it, maybe she'll get a whole post about her own badassery.

So ladies, can we please agree to be people like this rather than people like Bella and Anastasia?

No comments:

Post a Comment